The Nissan GT-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nissan GT-R

I want one. Sure don't need one. Bought new, they're a bit over a hundred thousand. But a production car that will absolutely ....gyaddamighty. It's got a ginzillion horsepower and all-wheel drive and paddle shifters and 6-piston front brakes. Stock from the factory. "Stock," I said.

There's a guy named Mark West. He's co-king of Tracks Unlimited, one of the outfits that rents tracks for a weekend and sells tickets for track-day weekends for all the wannabes like me. And there's a market for it. He took me for a ride in his GT-R at Atlanta Motorsports Park, my first road course outing ever. I hate to ride with anybody, but that was so thrilling, there was no time to be scared. DAY-um. He was passing cars when he got to them, in curves, on the straights, stuff was going by so fast, he was eating everybody else alive. That was a ride I'll never forget.

So, here's a guy in a GT-R setting a record at Road Atlanta. My best lap time in Red at Road Atlanta was a 2:16 in the rain. And I was lapping folks. That was HUGE fun. Life fun. I was going slow a whole lot faster than the other rookies were. Watch this cat turn a 1:24. Ungodly. As the text says, into Turn 12, falling straight downhill....if you f-up right there, you're gonna hit the wall on the left and then the wall on the right and then the wall on the left again...watch this guy go. Having been there (and I'm going back), this is just breathtaking.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I saw one almost beat a Nova that had a 10.20 dial in on the window. With the A/C on. They are pretty amazing cars.

Comment

From my faded memory of that ride in the GT-R on the race track, I can't decide if it was the acceleration or the braking that was most phenomenal. I believe they were equal in amazement factor. Braking capacity is what makes you run up on the back of people in a hurry on a road course. You stay in it longer going into the curve...who's going to buy me one of those cars?

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
        I saw one almost beat a Nova that had a 10.20 dial in on the window. With the A/C on. They are pretty amazing cars.
        before cage rules demanded, right off the shelf..it is impressive.
        I'd still walk away.

it is even in the vengeance story of the big dollars dumped into it. This car was to make performance out of the box, just to sell.
        this focus does not know 100k american miles by any means.

stick to the mustang peewee.

an n/a flat plane is going to walk away from gt-r, just add ten laps.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 24, 2015, 07:32 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post

stick to the mustang peewee.
          Of course. It's fun to dream, though. But for zillions of bucks....

The very first road course thing I went to, riding around with the instructor. The only straightaway at that track, Atlanta Motorsports Park....dude was painting Red's butt in the curves, I moved over to let him by on the main straight. And man did he EVER go by. It was a...something. I asked the instructor..."What WAS that?" He said turbocharged Subaru. Yeah, he was gone in a hurry.

Comment

AMP is a pretty cool track. I've done the extreme experience up there twice. I got to drive a F430 one year and a Gallardo the next. At that time the GT-R was for ride along only so we let my son take a ride. That is his dream car. But talking to the instructor he said that it was not a drivers car and that the car did everything for you, well except steer. They now have them available for drives now so that will be the next one and I'll judge it for myself. Heading up to caffeine and octane earlier this month a Alpha 4 GT-R and a 911 went by us and you could see the flames come out of the tail pipes on the GT-R upon decel and it was just plain cool as they went past us. It is just a wicked looking car. I think it was the same car that ran up in Clayton at the half mile drag races last year. That was a blast, just wish I had something to run.
            Last edited by Damon23; January 24, 2015, 07:07 PM.
            Visit my sons blog:
            www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

Yep, AMP is cool and Barber is cool and Road Atlanta is the cat's meow if you survive Turn 12. Gosh what a scare-thrill.

As for the GT-R... How fast do you want to go and how much money do you have to spend on it? That's all it is. Let's just go get one. That car is a mighty nice house, money-wise. I'm not in that league. The guy who took me for a ride in that one at AMP....well, I was fortunate to have that seat for a few minutes. That was incredible.

Comment

i wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I've totally change my mind. I think I want one of THESE instead:

The NameSilo-sponsored Autocon Lola BA06 runs a lap at Road Atlanta prior to Petit Le Mans 2011. If you'd like your name or web address to appear on this Ame...

Comment

Working...
                  X